I’m in the wrong business. I should be in the screens business. Making them, selling them, whatever, but screens are where it’s at. This occurred to me the other day when someone asked me if I liked e-readers. I don’t, as a rule. Not that I single them out specifically for scorn, it’s just that [...]
What’s your default religious setting? Agnostic? Atheist? Believer? Default being the position you’re reduced to when dangling perilously over troubled waters; the one inspired by fear of death or eternal loneliness; the thing that remains when rational thought has left the building.
For a long time mine was atheist, and proudly, vocally so. I adopted this [...]
A minor aristocrat, whose name eludes me right now, once claimed that the end of western civilisation was marked not by World War One or any other heinous conflict, but when it no longer became possible to employ a valet who would iron his shoelaces. Rumour has it Prince Charles’s gentlemen’s personal gentlemen still carries [...]
Regular readers of this site – both of them – may have noticed I’ve taken a break from blogging recently. This is not a deliberate move, more the fact that my ‘leisure’ time has been taken up by a new endeavour, fiction writing, and I’ve had less time to concentrate on the spurious ramblings I inflict [...]
One criticism that could justifiably be levelled at this blog is that sometimes it errs on the side of frivolity. Inane I hope is too cruel a word, but at its most superficial it is perhaps not so very far from the truth.
Today however, more pressing matters occupy the old grey matter; things that could have [...]
Most people I know inhabit a professional world and as such know that, try to make something of yourself and you’ll find your head occupied nearly every hour of every day by what you should be doing, when, for how long and who with. Combine this with our money and celebrity-obsessed culture, which advances the [...]
I don’t, as a rule, contemplate death often – it’s a bit depressing and I’m too busy living life, etc, etc. However, recently I’ve been doing just that and after extensive consideration I’ve decided that if I do have to go early, I want to be mauled by a large, dangerous animal – a lion [...]
If humans are plagued by an internal dialogue it is that of the romantic and pragmatist.
The romantic dreams of escape – of who we could become if we altered things, of whom we will become when we alter things.
But the pragmatist sighs, eyes the gas bill, the mortgage statement, the empty cupboard, and realises change [...]
11pm: Knackered. Wrestle the duvet with all the finesse of a punch drunk boxer and beat the pillow into submission. Scratch, lay back, close eyes and relax. Sleep now.
11.38pm: Do you reckon that press release will get coverage then?
I hope so, I really do. Client’s gonna be annoyed if it doesn’t. Good story though, it will, [...]
Previously I have written about the words and phrases that really wind me up. At the time it was cathartic and gave me an immense feeling of satisfaction but I feel I may have been disingenuous – I may have wrongly implied that it was a comprehensive list. But, dear reader, nothing could be further [...]
Nick is a director at the public relations company in Hull. He helps companies and individuals communicate the messages important to them, ensuring success for their businesses.
- Words and Phrases That Really Wind Me Up 22. Jul, 2010
- Marriage and the Confessions of a Tweedaholic 05. May, 2010
- Some Musings on Socks 15. May, 2010
- Holy Shit, What’s Happened to My Head? 26. May, 2010
- He’s Not From This World 11. Aug, 2010
- Leave my melatonin alone 08. Oct, 2013
- Sex, Lies and Videotapes 14. Nov, 2012
- Don’t Vote, it Only Encourages Them* 06. Sep, 2012
- Straight Man, Funny Man and Olympic Legacies 14. Aug, 2012
- Pride, False Prophets and Making a Difference 30. Jul, 2012
- Dog Agility Leicester: Thanks for the great post, I adore your blog....
- decorative wood corbels: I really like your writing style, good informati...
- nickglaves: Cheers Johnny boy ... is The West Wing written by ...
- John Connolly: Great post :) You should definitely watch The W...
- nickglaves: Hi Ed, good to hear from you. You're right, deligh...